Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Q&A With Chris Kluwe

First off, thanks a lot for agreeing to do this with me. Like I said I have been reporting my training camp observations on a fan site, just started up my blog today. The reason you were the first I approached is I have seen you up at training camp numerous times, always signing autographs for the fans, and you thank them for coming out just as often as they thank you for your time. Because of this you are a highly liked player all over the place, truly a "fan's player".

Now to the questions.

VK: First off, you grew up playing High School and College ball in California. Was it hard getting used to our winters?

CK: Well, it wasn't too bad since I grew up with some ski vacations, but the first couple of negative temperature days took some getting used to. I think the hardest thing was having to park my car outside that first year, and I didn't have a remote starter for it. Definitely had some chilly mornings that I had to layer up just to get in the car.


VK: When did you know you wanted to play football?

CK: When I discovered I was good at it :) Actually, I initially started playing football because I needed a fall sport in high school (played baseball in the spring and soccer in the winter). Guess it's lucky for me the soccer team didn't let me practice with them my freshman year.


VK: What is your favorite memory, thus far, as a Viking?

CK: Probably getting Special Teams Player of the month my rookie year. That's a pretty noteworthy honor and to get it as a rookie was pretty cool.


VK: What is a more frightening situation as a punter, in your opinion. That someone might break through and hit you before you have a chance to get the ball off, or when you have to try and engage a return man/blocker?

CK: Kicking to Devin Hester. In all seriousness though, it's definitely taking on a blocker. My guys do a great job of protecting me up front so I've never really worried about having anything blocked, but when a 250 lb guy is running full tilt at me with the returner behind him, it's tough not to think about whether or not you've updated your will lately.


VK: We all know you like your video games, whats your highest score on Guitar Hero?

CK: To be honest, I don't know. I play Guitar Hero to have fun and I've never really felt the need to track my score. I just like hitting all the notes so the song sounds good.


VK: Besides Devin Hester, who do you think is the hardest person to punt to?

CK: Devin Hester.


VK: We all know you're an ace at placing the ball inside the 20 and directional punts, about what % of your kicks do you think are with a reverse spin on the ball?

CK: Heh, I don't think I've ever knowingly put a reverse spin on a ball in my life. The +50 punts I tend to kick with a higher trajectory so usually when they come down they bounce backwards, but you can't ever predict exactly where the ball is going to go. That's what makes the game so much fun.


VK: Family Guy vs the Simpsons, who's better?

CK: Tough question. I like that the Family Guy throws in some outrageous skits and 'wtf' moments, but for classic comedy you just can't beat the Simpsons.


VK: Who are you closest with on the team?

CK: Probably my snapper Cullen and kicker Ryan. We hang out all day and there's not much to do besides talk to each other during practice so we spend a lot of quality time together.


VK: What is your favorite thing (if any) about coming to Mankato?

CK: Ummmm, leaving? I jest, I jest (kind of). The people here do a great job making sure that we have everything we need, but let's face it, it's fall camp. It's not ever going to be fun no matter where you're at.


VK: Which game are you most looking forward to this season?

CK: The Monday Night opener against Green Bay. It's going to set the tone for the rest of the season, and it'll be nice to play in Green Bay without having to layer 8 different types of clothes.


VK: Finally, I have to ask. Horde or Alliance?

CK: Horde. Alliance are a bunch of *expletive*


VK: Thank you very much for your time

CK: Not a problem, hope this is what you needed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice job, VK. Seems like a cool guy. Hope he keeps it away from Hester.